What are switches used for?
Why do subnets matter?
How do your BAS devices communicate with one another?
If you've found yourself wondering these questions then you are in the right place.
In this week’s episode of the Building Automation Monthly Podcast we will be discussing:
- How subnets work
- What you need to understand when adding BAS devices to a local subnet
- How to interpret Wireshark captures to detect issues with your local subnets
Switches and Frames
- What is a data link and why does it matter? (1:55)
- What do a zip code and a local subnet have in common? (4:45)
- How does local communication happen? (5:20)
- Why do you use switches? (5:50)
- The importance of the MAC address (7:25)
- How do BAS devices communicate on the local subnet? (10:30)
- The importance of the ARP broadcast (11:30)
- What do you need to know when working with layer 2 communications? (13:35)
- Why is it more important to understand how IT works than how to "do" it? (15:15)